Whereas you occur to’ve spent any time on Instagram since 2017, you’ve viewed baker and blogger Sarah Kieffer’s cookies — or, no longer less than, of us making an try to recreate her cookies. They’re extremely sure. Spherical and flat, ringed bask in a tree trunk and layered with chunks of chocolate that rippled out from the soft center to the crispy edges.
Kieffer called them the Pan-banging Cookie because, as the title suggests, it requires bakers to pull half-risen cookies from a hot oven, bang them on the counter so they tumble, then stick relief in and repeat. This ends in the cookies’ trademark sugary crinkles. And so they went fully viral. Search #panbang and likewise you presumably can fetch thousands of recreations, from homecooks to Martha Stewart’s take a look at kitchen. (The cookies also be pleased the seal of approval from domestic goddess Ina Garten).
Now, Kieffer is relief with 99 extra cookie recipes for house bakers to set up out in her new cookbook “100 Cookies: The Baking Book for Every Kitchen, with Traditional Cookies, Sleek Treats, Brownies, Bars, and Extra,” which is now accessible for prefer.
Kieffer spoke with Salon about what it became bask in making a viral cookie, where she appears to be like to be like for baking inspiration and shared a recipe from “100 Cookies” — a colorful Neapolitan cookie (no pan-banging required).
I concentrate on plenty of of us know you from your pan-banging chocolate chip cookies. I feel bask in for several months, they appropriate dominated Instagram. How did it feel to be the creator of a viral cookie?
I still can not assume it – every that the recipe went viral, and that folk are still baking them and posting about them on a each day basis. I hesitated to save the Pan-Banging Cookie recipe in my first book; the recipe involves comparatively extra attention than most chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I belief of us would scoot by it because it is a long way extra time-titillating. However plenty of of us ended up loving it, and I am so grateful they did!
To your survey, what makes the “perfect” cookie?
I bask in crisp edges and a young center, and the salt and sugar balanced appropriate trustworthy so that you just do no longer gape either; it be no longer too sweet, it be no longer too salty — it be appropriate a luscious cookie.
The put had been about a of the locations you gained inspiration for the cookies on this book?
When I started writing this cookbook, I ordered every cookie book I could perchance fetch and went thru all of them, making notes on what became the same in the total books, and what became uniquely assorted. Books that highly inspired me had been “Cookie Like” by Mindy Segal and “Dorie’s Cookies” by Dorie Greenspan; they are every very strange and quite quite a bit of from every other, nevertheless capture the author’s inner most cookie preferences completely. I wished my book to be pleased recipes for everyone, nevertheless also highlight my favorites in a particular manner.
Did inserting together this book of 100 cookies commerce how you concentrate on them as a meals merchandise, or how you assume of yourself as a baker?
I be pleased been making cookies for decades, every lifeless at house and likewise by the hundreds for a quantity of bakeries I worked in, so I knew coming into into that I could perchance bake extra cookies per day, for recipe making an try out, than I could perchance with other baked goods: truffles, pies, et cetera. However I had plenty of labor decrease out for me since the total cookies would should be assorted from every other. As an illustration, on the subject of cake, you’ve about a solid cake recipes that you just be pleased off of for every chapter — the same injurious nevertheless assorted buttercreams and fillings and whatnot, nevertheless I couldn’t in actuality enact that in the same manner with cookies.
Whereas you occur to had been tasked with making any other book of 100 baked goods, what would you seize?
Swirl buns. My second current thing to assemble — after cookies, obviously — is cinnamon rolls, and I concentrate on I could perchance fill an entire book with assorted varieties of yeasted swirly bun treats.
Sarah Kieffer’s Neapolitan Cookie
Makes about 20 cookies
2½ cups plus 1 tablespoon [364 g] all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup [8 g] freeze-dried strawberries
1 cup [2 sticks or 227 g] unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¾ cups [350 g] granulated sugar
1 sizable egg plus
1 sizable yolk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 or 3 drops purple meals coloring (non-compulsory)
2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
White, purple, and brown sprinkles, for rolling (non-compulsory)
1) Adjust an oven rack to the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F [180°C]. Line three sheet pans with parchment paper.
2) In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3) In the bowl of a meals processor fitted with a blade, pulverize the strawberries correct into a powder.
4) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a sprint, beat the butter on medium trudge until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat on medium trudge until gentle and fluffy, 2 to about a minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla, and beat on medium trudge until combined. Add the flour combination and beat on low trudge until appropriate combined.
5) Dump the dough out onto a piece surface and divide it into three equal parts. Assign one-third of the dough relief into the mixer and add the powdered strawberries and meals coloring, if using. Mix on low trudge until fully combined, then seize the dough and hasty wipe out the bowl of the mixer.
6) Add any other third of dough to the mixer. Add the cocoa powder and mix on low trudge until fully combined.
7) Pinch a shrimp part (about ½ oz [15 g]) of every of the three doughs, and press them gently together, so they adhere to 1 any other, nevertheless withhold their strange colors. Press the part correct into a cookie scoop or roll it correct into a ball, then roll the ball into sprinkles (if using). Set up 6 or 7 cookies on every sheet pan. Bake the cookies one pan at a time, rotating halfway thru baking. Bake until the aspects are space and the cookies are puffed, 10 to 11 minutes.
8) Switch the sheet pan to a wire rack and let the cookies frigid for 5 to 10 minutes on the pan, then seize them and let them frigid entirely on the wire rack. Cookies would possibly perchance presumably be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
NOTES Affirm sunless cocoa powder for a darker colour. The powdered strawberries on their very be pleased gained’t give a gleaming purple hue, so I bask in so to add comparatively meals coloring. I also bask in to roll every particular person colour of dough into the same colour of sprinkles, nevertheless it is doubtless you’ll be ready to combine ‘n match on the opposite hand your coronary heart wishes.